Rice Noodle Salad with Fresh Vegetables & Herbs
Chef Fiona knew exactly what to serve to Dave Matthews Band and crew on a hot summer day in Toronto, preparing her light, yet satisfying Rice Noodle Salad with Fresh Vegetables and Herbs. At home, try pairing the dish with The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay.
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1 large lime, juice and zest
- 1-2 tablespoons sambal oelek, or other Asian-style hot sauce
- 1 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Black pepper to taste
RICE NOODLE SALAD
- 1 pack rice noodles, vermicelli or spaghetti style
- 1 large red pepper, julienned
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed, julienned
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- Handful of mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup snap peas, julienned
- 1 head romaine lettuce, thin slice
- 1/4 head red or green cabbage, julienned
- 1/2 cup peanuts, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- 1 bunch basil, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- 1 bunch cilantro, rough chop, set aside small amount for garnish
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside until ready to serve.
RICE NOODLE SALAD
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for about 10 minutes, until the noodles are soft and ready to eat. Rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- If you have a mandolin, it would be very helpful for prepping the carrot and cucumber, but it is not necessary.
- All the prep can be done well ahead of serving.
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except romaine lettuce and cabbage.
- When ready to serve mix dressing into rice noodles, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of romaine and cabbage.
- Garnish with extra peanuts and herbs.
Delicious with grilled shrimp or steak.