Coconut Panna Cotta with a Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
In Elkhorn, WI, Chef Fiona treated Dave Matthews Band and crew to her creamy, delicate Coconut Panna Cotta with a Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce. At home, we recommend pairing this recipe with The Dreaming Tree Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 cans organic coconut milk, full fat
- 1 packet gelatin, see note*
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 2 vanilla beans, scraped)
- In small pot bring all ingredients to a simmer, cook until rhubarb is broken down.
- Cool. Set aside.
- Empty one can of coconut milk (and seeds and pods of the vanilla beans, if using) into a small pot and heat over lowest heat and whisk until milk comes together.
- Place pot in refrigerator until the milk is cool about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle gelatin evenly over the chilled milk and let stand for 5 minutes. Gelatin should be shiny and the surface wrinkled.
- Heat over low heat until hot and gelatin dissolved, about 2-3 minutes (you can test it by feeling for grains with your fingers or on the back of a spoon).
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Do not let mixture boil.
- Remove from heat, add second can of coconut milk and vanilla extract (remove bean pods at this point if using), and whisk until incorporated.
- Pour mixture evenly into 6 small glasses or bowls. Chill in refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours.
VEGAN PANNA COTTA
- Pour 2 cans of coconut milk, sugar, and 2 1/2 teaspoons Agar-Agar (and seeds and pods of the vanilla beans, if using) into the pot.
- Bring to a boil, whisk until incorporated, reduce heat, and simmer for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract (remove bean pods at this point if using).
- Pour mixture evenly into 6 small glasses or bowls. Chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
*NOTE: To make the dessert vegan, use Agar-Agar (also called Kanten) powder instead of gelatin. This can be found at health food stores or Asian supermarkets.
Serve in glasses or bowls with a spoonful or two of strawberry-rhubarb sauce and any additional sauce served on the side.