Fresh Ginger Pudding with Cherry-Lime Sauce
In New York City, NY, Dave Matthews Band and crew enjoyed a sweet treat prepared by Chef Fiona, Fresh Ginger Pudding with Cherry-Lime Sauce. Try this recipe at home paired with the Dreaming Tree Crush Red Blend.
- 2 cups half and half, divided
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped, with any juices, see note*
- 1 lime, zest, and juice (to equal 2-3 tablespoons)
- Place 1 3/4 cup half and half, ginger, and 1/2 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining half and half, egg yolks, and 2 tablespoons cornstarch until fully incorporated.
- Increase heat to medium, add egg mixture to saucepan, and whisk constantly until quite thick with bubbles just beginning to come to the surface.
- Remove from heat, whisk in butter and vanilla extract.
- Strain mixture. Pour into 4-6 small bowls or ramekins. Chill until cold.
- While puddings cool, prepare sauce. In a small bowl mix together lime juice and remaining cornstarch.
- In a small saucepan, put cherries, lime zest, and 2 tablespoons sugar over medium heat. Stir in cornstarch mixture and heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Set aside and cool.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle cookie crumbs over pudding, then top with sauce.
*NOTE: Can use frozen if fresh is not available.