Barley Salad with Mushrooms, Asparagus & Swiss Chard
Chef Fiona whipped up a delicious dish full of wild and savory ingredients for the Camden tour stop. Paired with The Dreaming Tree Chardonnay, the Barley Salad with Mushrooms, Asparagus, and Swiss Chard with Sherry Vinaigrette made for the perfect meal before a great show.
- 1/2 pound pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces shiitake caps, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, 1/2 inch slice
- 5 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 bunch scallions, thin sliced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stalks removed, 1-inch slice
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, rough chopped
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar (can use red or white wine vinegar, or a combination of the two if sherry not available)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together, set aside.
- Prepare the barley according to directions, drain, and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Let come to room temperature or chill.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place prepared celery, scallions, chard, walnuts, and parsley. Set aside.
- Lightly sauté shiitakes until they just begin to brown, remove from pan, add to bowl. Sauté asparagus until they just begin to cook, add to bowl.
- Add cooled barley to bowl, toss.
- Add vinaigrette to salad just before serving, stir well, salt and pepper to taste.
Can be served warm or cold, on its own or with a piece of grilled fish or chicken.