Chef Fiona Bohane is passionate about local ingredients and regularly sources them in tour cities to deliver meals with the freshest ingredients for the DMB crew. She kicked off the DMB Summer Tour 2014 with a specialty Green Chili Braised Chicken recipe paired with the Dreaming Tree Crush Red Blend.
“This chicken is out of this world.”
Photos by Aaron Farrington
2 each, organic, free range, locally grown (if available) chicken drumsticks, thighs and breasts (cut in half, across the bone)
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1 t cumin
1/2 t paprika
1/4 t thyme
Pinch cayenne or 1T Mexican spice mix
1 medium yellow onion, julienned
1 large stalk celery, 1/2 inch sliced
1 large carrot, 1/2 inch sliced
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Poblano pepper
1 Anaheim pepper
2 Hatch pepper, chopped, or 1 small can drained
1 Jalapeno, seeded, sliced (leave seeds in if you like spice)
1/4 t salt
1 T canola oil
1 cup beer, I prefer using Mexican beer for this recipe, but any lager can be used
1 cup chicken stock
5 sprigs fresh oregano
1 bay leaf
Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime cut in wedges
- 2 each, organic, free range, locally grown (if available) chicken drumsticks, thighs and breasts
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 large carrot
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 2 Hatch pepper or 1 small can 1 jalapeno
- canola oil
- 1 cup beer (lager)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Handful fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- Sour cream
- black pepper
- Pinch cayenne or 1T Mexican spice mix
- Rub chicken with spice mix.
- Take a large heavy bottomed pan and heat over medium high heat. Add oil. In batches, brown chicken on all sides (should take 10-15 minutes). Do not over crowd the pan. (Reduce heat if pan begins to smoke, but don’t worry if spice mix sticks to pan, it will be removed in next step and adds nice flavor). Place chicken in an ovenproof dish large enough so that the chicken will lie comfortably in a single layer.
- Reduce pan to medium.
- Drain all but 1-2T of oil from pan and add onions, celery, carrots and salt, sauté for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables start to cook, add garlic, sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add peppers, cook until lightly brown.
- Add beer, reduce by a third.
- Add chicken stock, bring to boil.
- Add stock mixture to ovenproof pan, with bay leaf, oregano.
- Cover with lid or wrap in tinfoil (if foil touches top of chicken place a piece of parchment paper on top of the chicken then wrap in foil).
- Place in a 350 oven for 1½ hours (if using convection oven cut the time by 30 minutes). Check after 1 hour, you want the chicken to be very tender but not falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken from oven and rest for 5 minutes, remove bay leaf and oregano stalks. Season sauce with salt, pepper, and a little honey to taste.
Serve over rice with cilantro, a dollop of sour cream, lime wedges and your favorite hot sauce.