Pecan-Crusted White Fish with Charred Tomatoes, Red Peppers & Lemons
In Charleston, SC, Dave Matthews Band and crew enjoyed Chef Fiona’s Pecan-Crusted White Fish with Charred Tomatoes, Red Peppers, and Lemons. Try this recipe at home paired with The Dreaming Tree Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2 red peppers
- 2 large tomatoes, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 lemon, cut in half longwise and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup capers, rough chop
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 large pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound thick white fish, cut in 4 portions (cod, turbot, grouper would all work)
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of cayenne
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Roast peppers on rack for about 15-20 minutes, until blistered and slightly blackened.
- Carefully remove peppers from oven and transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic or cloth until cool.
- Remove seeds and skins of peppers, dice peppers, and transfer to a bowl.
- While peppers are roasting or cooling, mix tomatoes, onions, garlic, sliced lemon, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned, then transfer to same bowl as diced peppers.
- Mix charred veggies with remaining ingredients.
- Season to taste. Set aside, keep warm.
- Lower oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle oil on a baking pan.
- Mix finely chopped pecans, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Transfer to plate.
- In a separate bowl mix egg with 1 tablespoon cool water and a pinch of salt.
- Lightly season fish with salt and pepper.
- Dip top of fish filet in egg, then in pecan mix and place fish on oiled pan with pecans on top.
- Repeat with remaining fish.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on thickness; a knife should pass through the fish easily.
To serve, divide charred veggie mix between 4 plates and place fish on top.