Garlic Marinated Flank Steak with Fresh Herb & Olive Tapenade
Chef Fiona couldn’t resist grilling up some tender, juicy steak for the Chicago stop of the DMB Summer Tour. The crew savored the Garlic Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Fresh Herb and Olive Tapenade before taking the stage later that night. Try pairing the dish at home with The Dreaming Tree Cabernet Sauvignon.
“My favorite two sides with Fiona’s flank steak are the flank steak and the flank steak. I always eat her asparagus too. She is magical.”
— Dave Matthews
- 1 whole flank steak, about 3 pounds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 3/4 cup black pitted kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups, loosely packed, mix of fresh herbs, basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro, rough chop
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, small dice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the marinade, whisk together ingredients in bowl, transfer to appropriately sized, non-reactive container. Add steak and refrigerate for 1-4 hours, turning meat once.
- While meat marinates, make the tapenade. Mix all ingredients. Let flavors blend for at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare and heat grill (of your choice).
- Remove steak from marinade. Using a paper towel, wipe excess marinade from meat.
- Grill meat over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes per side until meat is nicely charred for a medium-rare.
- Let meat rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the meat across the grain, diagonally, in about 1-1/2 inch slices.
- Transfer meat to platter and drizzle tapenade over the steak and serve.